The Tweedles

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Trust

Hi Everyone, it's Tweedledum here...

So as most of you know I just started a new job a Google a few weeks ago. So far it's going great. It's a very different place to work.

My manager has over 60 direct reports. It takes most of his time just to meet each of us once every 3 weeks for 30 minute one on ones. Clearly he's not running the dozen projects his team works on.

Instead it's up to the engineers to determine what's best. My team is in charge of some of the infrastructure in the Search Engine. It's up to me and the other 4 guys in my office to decide which features go in, when we ship, and who will work on what. Other teams come to us with feature requests, and we discuss with them when/if we can help them. There's never any "my-boss-tells-your-boss-to-help-me" crap. If it's really important then we'll agree to do it. If it's not important then no one should be working on it.

It's as if the company trusts the engineers to make the right decision :)

So between that and the free gourmet food, I'm having a great time.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11/15/2007 12:45 PM, Blogger PEEPS PAGES said...

That is So Awesome.... Does Google Hire Physicists? He can program things too (Though me being semi computer illiterate I have no clue which code language he knows etc.).

But maybe I can get him to change his mind about this whole Academia thing and switch to industry... I hear Google has SUPER benefits too.

All the best there. I look forward to hearing more!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home