The Tweedles

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Remembrance Day

Today is Remembrance Day or Veterans Day for my American pals who are confused when I call it Remembrance Day. As you know I an a little passionate about the importance of today. You know a lot of it can be attributed to my Grampa.
I thought that this year I would discuss another aspect of today that haunts me a little. When I was younger today was so important, almost holy to my family. At a young age I had a full understanding what November 11th meant and it's importance. However my understanding was really based around the veterans from World War 1 and especially World War 2 (where my Grampa was in the army as a medic in the trenches in France). I understand now, especially with the current war, that the focus has been shifted to another generation. While I comprehend this and understand that the current young men need all the support they can get, I implore all of my readers, friends and family to still save a little piece of space in your heart and remember the vets of WW1 and WW2.
Without being overly political I truly believe that the importance of those 2 wars really shaped our countries (Canada and USA) more than any other war. Men like my Grampa fought hard and long to protect us, and I feel that we need to honour them properly.
To be fair we should still remember the other veterans from the other wars, but those vets still number among us and can remind us, but the numbers of them from WW1 and 2 are so small that we have to take it upon ourselves to remember for them, and to teach our children about them too.
So I hope you all took a moment at 11am to remember them, if not, take that moment now.
thank you.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 11/11/2007 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are interested in remembering WW2, you should check out the PBS special "The War" by Ken Burns. It is a 7 part, 15 hour documentary that follows the war from the prospective of four American towns - Mobile, Alabama; Sacramento, California; Waterbury, Connecticut; and Luverne, Minnesota, their soldiers and the ones who stayed behind (including those working in the factories, Americans of Japanese decent in camps, etc.) It is absolutely the best documentary I have seen and sends chills through me just remembering some of the stories. It is haunting and well worth watching.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home