The Tweedles

Thursday, January 18, 2007

My Ads.

I don't endorse them or believe in many of them. They are generated by some program out there. I am curious what I said to get to many pro Church and bible ones popping up. It makes me a little uncomfortable to see something advertising bibles and churches, on my website, my space. Don't blast me for saying that. If you go to church or own more bibles than anyone else, that's good for you. But for me religion is private, and it makes me uncomfortable to see advertisements, or really when people talk about it.
To demonstrate how I get uncomfortable about religion I'll have a little fake dialogue.

Church Goer: I went to church today, it was great.
Me: Uhm, okay.
CG: Yeah, the pastor/father/priest gave such a great speech, it moved me to tears.
Me: Oh.
CG: Where do you go to church? What is your religion? Do you go to bible studies?
Me: Uhm, no, no, and no.
CG: Oh, but don't you want to know the warmth and love you can feel by inviting Christ into your life? What about your morals, where will you learn morals? What about your children, where will they learn them?
Me: I have good morals, and my children will learn them from me. I just think that I can still be a good person, and not read the bible. I follow the idea of being good, and treating people the way that you would like to be treated, and respecting everyone, regardless of who they are, what they are or who they worship. Or if they worship at all.

Now how I hear it.

Church Goer: I went to my gyno's office today, it was great.
Me: Uhm, okay.
CG: Yeah, the doctor gave such a great exam, it moved me to tears.
Me: Oh.
CG: Where do you go to get a pap smear? What do you love about it?
Me: Uhm, no, no, and no.
(I start to tune out the conversation here, although the answer above is one that I have given several times when I have been prodded as to why I don't go to church, most recently on the plane when I was flying home from Canada)

So yeah. To me religion is a private affair, I think it's great that some people are so committed to it, and I am happy for them, but I can't see myself being like that. I could pretend, maybe joining a church would let us meet a lot of people. but we (Adam and I) would be frauds, and that isn't a good way to make friends. Also just because someone is religious doesn't mean I can't befriend them. I just have trouble talking about religion, mostly because I don't want to make them uncomfortable if I start asking the questions that I want to ask. So I avoid it.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 1/19/2007 10:09 AM, Blogger Gabrielle said...

Go girl, you tell them…….You got that right…….god is the grass the flowers the sky and all creatures great and small…..not just in church……I feel the same way you do. Don’t let anyone tell you different. …you are who you are and god made you that way……O.K enough about God……..
As My mother used to say…..religion, politics and money is nobodies business but yours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home