The Tweedles

Monday, December 18, 2006

Negative Nancy

The other day when we went into the RE's office I bet Adam that the receptionist would be her normal cheerful self. By cheerful I mean negative and complainy. Normally she whines about her headache, how the computers never work, how the nurses and doctors just don't appreciate her. (she whines that to other staff people that come in to talk to her) This time Adam commented that she would whine about the rain. And ya know? She did. While we were sitting waiting for them to perform torture on me, I listened to her complain to everyone. I had nothing to do, I couldn't read another pregnancy magazine, they are a little torturous for me right now.... Anyhow did she complain, and when I thought she was all out, she did some more. To the patients, about her little minute things; "oh my head hurts", "the rain is so dreary", "Christmas is so expensive", blah blah blah. I wanted to yell at her: "Lady your head hurts and the rain sucks, but I can't have a baby, and nor can anyone else in this room! I am sure that anyone here would like to exchange with you!" But no one says anything to her, they just coddle her and she accepts their sympathy. It's sick, sick, sick.
(Almost as sick as baby magazines in an infertility clinic.)
Anyhow it made me think, when I was working at the bank there was always some lady in the branch who was like this. A regular Negative Nancy. She was always at least mid 50s, had hair straight from the 80s, all curly and short, leaving rows of curls on the top of her head. She always would dress in suits which were ill fitted and at least 20 years old. She would often complain that people weren't as professional as she, and would point out specific examples. She would detail how she could run the branch better than the manager. In the branches I was in, she was generally a front line person, (ie teller) and would detail how the lenders were lazy and didn't appreciate the CSRs, then in the next breath complain how she has to work 15 minutes extra everyday. She never realized that the lenders were in before her, and left after her, or that although we would get to sit at a desk, we didn't get as many breaks as she did, and often had a steady stream of customers. And when our customers left, we weren't done with them, we generally had several more hours of work.
So the point I am trying to make, well there isn't one, just that the Negative Nancy is universal.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 12/19/2006 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

harmurphs Said

you should have said to her "cry me a river"
don't those people just get under you skin.
the world is full of them........

 
At 12/19/2006 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

harmurphs said

hey I thought you were going to post pictures of your christmas tree...........

 
At 12/20/2006 2:43 PM, Blogger Lorraine said...

I worked at a Credit Union too and we had one member like that - funny thing is, her name really was Nancy! :) Here's to seeing some more Postive Polly's out there.

 
At 12/20/2006 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HARMURPHS SAID.......

I was just thinking about negative nancy......I think you should go to a card shop and get her a card that say's something about being "positive" and how much better that make's one feel.....she might get the hint.......LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home