The Tweedles

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

About forever ago....

This is an exerpt from my old blog... It is from when I was living in a small mostly Catholic farming town in Alberta. I didn't fit in.

2005-01-24 - 9:10 a.m.

So early in the morning, well it's early to me. I am at work and I still hate it here. I feel really isolated in this butt fuck town. I know I've felt isolated before in Taegu, Korea and Manchester, England. However in Korea there was this amazing culture that was so rich that I never was without something to see or do, and it was crazy easy to meet people there. If they were Korean they wanted to talk to me casue I could speak English or casue they wanted to touch my skin or hair, in anycase I was instantly liked. Or if I saw someone who was caucasian it was easy to talk to them, ice breakers were so simple, "So where ya from and which school are you working for, and how long have you been here?" or in England, man the accents were enough to keep me satisfied. But here? Its a giant cultural void, granted there is the Ukranian culture, but they are so elitist here that you can't really learn about it easily, "you're an outsider blondie, and you're single, you're not married, no kids! ahhh you're not cathilolic, run shorty run, you're gonna taint us all with your lack of morals, and what's this working stuff, you should be popping out babies." So anyhow there is no rich culture (that is easily accesable by me) there is no amazing accent and there is no one to have drinks with, everyone here is crazy old, or if they are my age I have nothing in common with them. A conversation with Jane Blow from Vegreville:
Me: Hi how are you?
Jane: Me?, I'm fine...
Me: my name is Deadra and yours?
Jane: Jane.
Me: Nice to meet you Jane, so what do you do?
Jane: I'm a housewife.
Me: Oh wow do you have children? How old are they?
Jane: 4 and 6.
Me: Oh so what are they like, I love kids, I"m sure that I will have them some day.
Jane: They're ok. Do you go to church?
Me: Church, no I wasn't raised with it, so I don't know much about religion.
Jane: (Severe look of disgust) Really? (backing away slowly like I biohazard signs all over me)You know I really have to be going... my husband needs to have his lunch made/ pillows fluffed/ underwear ironed.
Me: Ok have a nice day.
Jane: *gone*
SO anyhow that's about it... I'm a freak here, no one can talk to me casue I might infect them with my worldly ways. AND to make matters worse this bloody town is so sleepy that they don't ever want to change anything so my work is crazy slow so i can't learn what I have to so I can get out of here faster. RAR.
have a nice day!

3 Comments:

At 5/31/2006 1:21 PM, Blogger Lisa C. said...

I so know what you mean. I hate (HATE!!!) that "do you go to church" question, mainly because people never ask it unless they have an agenda behind the question.

It's a very popular question here because - hello! - it's the Bible belt and everyone goes to church! Well, except me. And the Moosh. And R. And all the atheists in the atheists club (we actually have one here). But the majority go to church. It's hard to be different, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

 
At 6/02/2006 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, the good old days of The Bad Place...
before they shipped you to Dreadful Valley...

 
At 6/02/2006 11:21 PM, Blogger TweedleDea said...

I am so happy to be out of rural Alberta. It was all the "Bad Place!" Lisa, even now I get questions like that. It's so akward. Recently I was on a plane and sat next to an Indian lady and we talked about religion, and I explained that I think that the general lesson or religion is to be a good person and do unto others. She was impressed that someone my age (!) could have this understanding. It also warmed me to know that not everyone thinks that those with no religion are total write-offs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home