The Tweedles

Thursday, May 18, 2006

On Being Canadian in the USA.

I was just reading a blog that I love to read, but I rarely do because I can't read just one of her posts. She is an amazing writer and it makes me thing. I just read one of her posts that did just that. I'll explain. She has several children and her oldest is just about to turn 18 and he got a form in the mail, that was red white and blue. And she didn't elaborate. So I read the comments and someone asked what it is. It seemed that everyone knew and were really sympathetic. Apparently here when a boy turns 18 he has to send all of his info in to the government in case there is ever a draft. Also the military can then know where to send all of their propaganda. I was shocked to read this. I never researched whether or not the US still did this, I find it to be barbaric and cruel; espcially in a country that brags about it's freedoms. Isn't this taking away a freedom? Sure it can be argued that the government is essentially protecting freedoms. But really, are they? I don't think that the US government really knows what freedom is, and the same goes for most of the public. We can see the lack of understanding now when the people that are pro-Iraqi war insist that all of the troops are fighting for their country. I don't see that they are fighting for this country, they are fighting for someone's agenda and it's not the Iraqi's.
It seems the more I am here, and learn more about the intracasies of the American culture, the more I realize that I am further left of centre than I though. I have always been proud to be a Canadian; but now, more so than ever.

2 Comments:

At 5/18/2006 4:39 AM, Blogger jo(e) said...

You are right. Freedom has become in this country a word that politicians use to manipulate the public.

The war on Iraq has nothing to do with freedom and everything about our country wanting to dominate and control and bully other nations -- and have access to cheap oil.

The Bush administration has made me be ashamed to be American.

 
At 5/22/2006 1:37 PM, Blogger Lisa C. said...

I agree with Jo(e). It is very frightening to me that the US is using the same methods to control public opinion that the Nazi's did when they took over Germany:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."
-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

 

Post a Comment

<< Home