The Tweedles

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Remeberance Day

Every year I write a post about how important today is to me because of my Grandpa.
Today I wondered how many people in my generation use today as a day to remember their grandparents, especially since Canada has not been as involved by war since WW2. However since living in California I've seen the effect of the more recent wars which are more on on the forefront of people's minds. In the past years of living here I wished that there was more focus on the vets of WW1 and 2, I feel that they are being lost, and it's because of them that today is sacred. Then it dawned on me today as I recited In Flanders Fields to myself, the line that says, "the torch be yours to hold it high", could refer to the current veterans, it's their turn to inspire and remind everyone to respect today, and the jobs that all of the young men and woman have done for Canada, the US and so many other countries.
So today I paid homage to all vets, even the youngest ones, who are just as deserving as my Grandpa.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11/17/2009 12:40 PM, Blogger PEEPS PAGES said...

Isn't that so interesting. I've noticed the same thing here. Earlier when I went to Canada I stole a couple of plastic poppies from my dad to wear on that day (he can always get more... I can't). I also wrote the poem down on a piece of paper so I can bring it out and show Katie each year to educate her on how Solemn of an occasion Remembrance Day is to Canadians. I have forgotten over the years to stop and reflect on the 11th hour and I really need to get back to that. I always found it very unifying to have seemingly all of Canada pause for that time to remember those who fought for our country. I am sure that we as mom's can keep the "torch" burning in our little ones by our efforts during this day... would you agree?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home