The Tweedles

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Vote!

Today is voting day for all of the municipalities in the whole country, I believe. I really wish I could vote! Since being a part of the neighbourhood association, I've learned a lot about local politics and have had the misfortune of meeting some of the crazy candidates who should not be given any power whatsoever. So I want to vote, just to help make sure that Loony McLoony Pat and his cronies don't make it in.
Their campaign strategy has been to verbally bash the current council members whenever possible in all medias, their favourite being using the local neighbourhood associations group emails as a forum. So I get to be privy to their shenanigans. It's taken all of my willpower to not reply to the emails about what idiots they are, but I fear that it would just result in a flame war. One of the cronies actually came to one of our neighbourhood meetings and complained about the expansion of Sunnyvale and how industrial areas are being taken over by new housing. All I could do was stare at him, with my mouth agape. Our neighbourhood is new, classified as an I to R, industrial to residential. So by his thinking we shouldn't be here. Instead the empty industrial area should have stayed, adding nothing to the city or the area. Never mind that the state has mandated that all cities have to aim for a 3% increase annually(?). He also went on how the city's funds aren't be distributed properly, implying that we shouldn't have gotten our park. So with that comment, of course, I couldn't keep quiet. I totally let loose and educated him on our park and where the funds came from. He couldn't argue, Adam supported me and we made for a lean mean political machine (at the neighbourhood association level).
Suffice to say that asshat didn't make any friends at that meeting, and yet he still emails our group.
Adam has been able support a council member up for reelection by giving him his endorsement as our neighbourhood association president. Hopefully this man wins and can help balance out the asshats who are trying to get some power.
Hopefully, we'll know more tomorrow, or even later tonight.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home