The Tweedles

Sunday, November 08, 2009

Persimmons!

It's that time of year again. The time for me to eat my weight in persimmons. Oh how I love those subtly sweet crunchy fruits. (that's the fuyu ones, not the pointy ones)
This year I found them at the grocery store I frequent for *gasp* $2.00 each! And I bought several because I love them so much. Then I found them at a farmer's market for $1 a pound which is a much better price, then a friend told me that she has a whole tree of them and she let me come and pick some. So I did, about 30 or so lbs. I am in persimmon heaven. I've been indulging on them daily. I've also tried a couple of recipes so far. I've made a cooked chutney which turned out amazing and not at all mushy, and today I started a fermented chutney batch, and I'll see in a couple days how that comes out.
Next I'm going to try some persimmon bread and cookies. I'm excited!
Persimmons abound!
Trixie loves them too. If I leave the bag of them on the floor she'll rummage through it until she finds one to her liking and she'll just munch on it, walking around the house holding it taking the occasional bite. It grosses me out a little because I always peel the skin off of them, like I was taught to in Korea, but she's fine, they were grown without pesticides and I wash it for her. She called them pears or apples but when I correct her she says 'simm'n!
Yay it's Persimmon season!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home