The Tweedles

Thursday, November 05, 2009

pregnancy and birth

I had my 28 week OB appointment today, and as always I left totally irate at the quality of care and the standard of care that I get here.
Last appointment I was given a birth plan form to fill out (and by fill out I mean check the boxes of the things I want) and then we would discuss it today. Ugh ugh ugh. It didn't go well. I want more than what was on the form and it resulted in a long discussion. A lot of it was about me not wanting pitocin, and as a result my OB spent a lot of time telling me why pit. isn't horrible. I explained that my reaction and dislike of it is directly related to the poor outcome I had with it last time. She disregarded that.
So being irate I came home and stewed about it and posted to my facebook about being told the benefits of it. And of course it caused a disccusion on my facebook page. I had all sorts of comments, how it helped some people, how some people agree with me and how I should give up doctors and give birth in a hut in the woods.
After reading all of the comments I was frustrated. I think that interventions are there for a reason and I'm glad they are there. Women did die in childbirth. But I want to be treated like a healthy woman doing a natural thing (carrying a baby) and not treated like I have some terminal disease. I want to rejoice with my doctor about how wonderful this pregnancy is going and how I have such a good chance of a natural, drug free labour. I don't want to talk about potential problems, especially since there is little chance of them*.
Now I totally understand that she sees the worst of the worse, and wants to look for the worst, but I feel that someone who works with pregnant woman should also focus on the labours that go well and advocate and support for that. You know, behave more like a midwife. Not everyone will have problems, in fact I bet that really very few women have issues. But they get created and blown out of proportion and then BAM there's a problem and everyone is stressed.
I'm working hard on positive affirmation, telling myself that this labour will go well and that I will end up with the labour I want, but it's starting to wear on me that there are so many negative caregivers out there. Pooh.
Luckily I do have lots of supportive friends who are proponents of natural labour and birth, and through them I get strength and support for what I want. But I really feel for the women who just don't know and go through their pregnancy dreading the horrible birth because that is all that they are lead to believe there is.
Women do have good labours and births. It shouldn't be so hard to hear about them.

*I know I should know the risks, and I know them. But I think that there is more to having a healthy pregnancy and healthy relationship with a doctor.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home