The Tweedles

Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Ants Go Marching.

When we lived in the crappy assed house that we were renting before we moved here I envisioned homeownership to be Super Duper Amazing. Super Duper as in no stupid back door ladies to scratch my car with the garbage cans, a bathroom large enough for more than one person to be in it, reliable hot water, sweet, sweet air conditioning and no bugs. But alas apparently mother nature hates me, and although we have this amazing new house we have an ant problem. We learned in the other house to make sure that your counters are really clean and that you have no food out on the counters, and I've kept up these good habits. However I do have pets and they do have food and the evil little ants love dog and cat food apparently.
Today in the span of a couple hours there was a trail of ants across the floor coming from a little divot between the floorboards and where two hardwood boards meet to the container of dog food. The trail was about 3 feet long and 6 inches wide of solid ants. Nasty. Adam and I were able to wrangle them and we sealed the little divot with clear sealant, but there are still a couple rouge little buggers roaming around, just to further piss me off.
A couple days ago they managed to get into the cat food which we keep on top of the drier to keep the dog out of it. There was a line coming from the window (which was closed) down the wall, behind the shelving unit, behind the drier and up the back of it and they swarmed all over the top of my white drier, so they were really obvious. (I didn't sleep well that night) Rather than kill them all, which gives me such glee, I bought some ant poison bait stations and scattered them all over the area in hopes that it would kill the whole colony, or family reunion of the little buggers as it may be. But alas that was $7.99 or so well waisted. Chachi had a great time finding the ant traps and running away from us as we chided him for playing with them.
So here we are at a loss. I hate ants, I hate how they swarm and give me the creeps. I have these horrible dreams that I will wake up and find the baby covered in them.
I've taken to feeding the pets several times a day rather than just in the morning so I can leave them smaller amounts so there is less left out. But I don't see much of a difference in the number of the ants.
The one thing that amuses me about all of this is squirting them with our ant killer which is an organic all purpose cleaner, grapefruit scented. It's probably a good thing that I'm not Buddhist!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 7/21/2008 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you really LOVE ants, try giving them some cream of wheat cereal. Supposedly it expands in their stomachs and makes them explode! WOOO HOOO Take that nasty ant!

We had ants for the first time in ever this summer. We also put out a dish a syrup outside and let them drown themselves in it, since they just can't stay away, but the cream of wheat sounds way more painful and fun!

Good luck!

 
At 7/21/2008 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HATE ANTS EVIL ARGH!

Our house was overrun with ants for 3 years until I used teh ebil poison in our yard.

 
At 7/22/2008 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ACK!!! ants...we've had 'em too...just kept sealing every possible crack...such a hassle....YUCK. good luck...

 
At 7/22/2008 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

get some boarax and make a ring around your house

 
At 8/01/2008 8:57 AM, Blogger Linda said...

Boric Acid is what kills ants. I've known several friends who used this method to rid their house of them, even houses with pets. Something about making the boric acid solution, then soaking a bunch of cotton balls in it in a bowl, putting plastic wrap over it w/ holes in the plastic and keeping the concoction away from pets but in an area when the ants will swarm it for a week then disappear. My friend Kathy used this and hasn't had ant problems since. Search around the internet for the specific method, or ask Kathy Schrenk (I'm sure you've met her, she's also a friend of Regan's). http://schrenkrap.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home