The Tweedles

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Tweedle Dea the (unpaid) Pundit

The other day the California Supreme court overturned the ban on same sex marriage. And for the record I am 100% in support allowing same sex marriage. (doesn't same sex marriage sound so much better than gay marriage?) I have always felt that same sex marriages should be allowed because it's a basic right, and everyone should have the right to marry their soul mate, life partner, childhood sweetheart or whatever it may be. To reiterate, it's a right, everyone should have this right, not just some of us.
As I proclaim this I am sure that I am going to irritate some people and I am donning my fire protecting suit for the flaming I might get for saying this. However what if random people like me don't support these decisions and the rabid right gets their way and dictates what is allowed and what isn't, then what kind of a world will my daughter grow up in? What if she finds out her soul mate is a woman but she can't be free to have the same life I do for the simple fact of genitalia? I would be devastated! But without looking to the future, I think of the daughters and sons of now, who are by omission, being classed as second rate citizens. It's just not right, and it's really not fair.
I've had this argument several times with my father, brother and even my mother (among other people) about the rights of same sex couples. They all think that homosexuality is wrong and heterosexuality is right. The argument I use against them is to ask them why they care. What does it matter to them if their neighbour is gay? Are they scared it will rub off on them? Are they scared that they will turn gay by association? Are they not secure in their own sexuality? Often I am met with scowls and remarks about the bible with these comments, which kinda amuses me since we're not at all a religious family, and really if we were to abide by everything in the bible I should have been sold into slavery a long time ago. My argument boils down to why care if it's not hurting or affecting you? No one is forcing anyone to be gay, and you can't turn gay by associating or knowing someone who is.
Another argument that the nay sayers use is that same sex marriage devalues their own traditional marriage. However, I feel that only people that can devalue the marriage are the two people in the marriage. So if you feel that your marriage is strong how can it be weakened or devalued if your gay neighbours make the same commitments you have. Shouldn't we applaud them instead? In a society where there is a 50% divorce rate shouldn't we applaud other people who are willing to work on a relationship and make a commitment. Some of the couples on the news who were applying for marriage licences had been together for many years, having already made a lifelong commitment to their partner and now just wanted it to be legal. Their relationships had already outlasted many traditional marriages; clearly they have proven that they are marriage material!
And finally another reason for me to be a proud Canadian. Canada has allowed same sex marriages since 2003. In fact Vancouver has been a mecca for same sex marriages since then, becoming quite the destination. I hope that the USA will follow in the footsteps of Canada and become far more progressive. I hope this for the sake of my daughter's generation.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home