The Tweedles

Monday, April 14, 2008

Well Baby Appointments

Today was Trixie's well baby check up, and it's offical, she's growing. She's 8 and a half pounds, 21.5 inches long and has a head circumfrence of 14.5 inches. Everything is smack dab in the middle of normal. What blows my mommy mind is that in 7 weeks she's gained nearly 3 pounds! I think that really points to her having lost weight before she was born, especially since she went down to 5 pounds 2 ounces when she was in the hospital.

At the doctors I had to fill out a questionairre, clearly made to find out if I am a poor parent. I answered "correctly" for most of the questions, except when it comes to her sleep routine. Apparently I am supposed to put her down awake and let her cry for up to 20 minutes if she does. To which I reply, WTF! I hold her until she sleeps, and she's a happy content, not fussy. She rarely cries and when she does it's for a reason, like she's truly upset, and there is a reason for it. Regarding her sleep, she fights it a little, but I don't have a set nap time for her. She's evolved a cycle of sleep, eat, play, sleep. During her play time she's extra alert then she figits a little which lets me know she's sleepy and I help her get to sleep, which normally takes under 5 minutes. At night she sleeps for 5 or 6 hours, wakes, eats and goes back to sleep with no troubles. Then she wakes in 4 hours to eat again, then again in 3 and is up for the day, eating every 2-3 hours. During the day she only has 20 minute naps, then a big one around 7 or 8pm.

Anyhow over all she knows her days and nights and has a good sleep schedual, I have no intentions of letting her cry herself to sleep any time soon.



So a small disclaimer, I understand that everyone has opinions about raising children. I am sure that there are people reading this who are tisking me for putting Trixie to sleep the way I do. All I can say is that it works for us, and I'm going to keep doing it my way. Perhaps if things change I'll ask for advise.



Now breastfeeding. Some people have asked.

I can't breastfeed and it breaks my heart into tiny little pieces. As it turns out the breast reduction I had 11 years ago severed most of my milk ducts. I can feel that they are full, but they're not draining. However the good news is that with persistence I can create new tracts which will allow me to either breastfeed Trixie in time or her siblings. So to this end I pump a lot and I am taking perscriptions to increase the milk I can access and Trixie nurses with an SNS. I guess my wicked stubborn streak is going to pay off because I'm not going to give up. For a while Trixie had some bad nipple confusion from being given a bottle, but that is all sorted out now and she latches like a champ and has no issues with nipple confusion anymore. I've been going to LLL meetings which is nice. It really helps to keep me motivated and keep up with my pumping and whatnot.





And a picture to leave off on.

5 Comments:

At 4/15/2008 5:52 PM, Blogger Gabrielle said...

way to go mummma....... sounds like you have it all undercontrol and down pat. whatever works best for and your baby is the way to go, Dont worry about those tiskings...{LOL}
as long as things are working for you, who has the right to say what you should or should not be doing. seems to me that things are just ticking along like they should, looks like Beatrix is a happy wee baby from all the wonderfull pictures I keep drolling over.

 
At 4/16/2008 2:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cutie! Sounds like you are doing everything right to me... isn't the whole purpose to have a happy, thriving child? The Moosh's ped and I did not see eye-to-eye on much of anything parenting wise. I just happily ignored every word that came out of her mouth that wasn't related directly to his health and I was happy. I think you know what you can do with that questionnaire....

 
At 4/16/2008 2:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and by the way she is the image of you, seriously! :)

 
At 4/17/2008 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, she is SO cute!
That is too bad that breastfeeding is so difficult right now, but you are doing everything right and working hard at making it better for the future.
And I agree with you that she is too young to understand why you wouldn't comfort her when she is crying. Maybe you will be a parent that never lets her cry, or maybe in time you will be one that finds letting them cry it out works best. I think it's a little early for her to be putting herself to sleep! But, just my opinion.
Thanks for the update and the great pictures!

 
At 4/27/2008 5:24 PM, Blogger Amy said...

She is beautiful! and as for putting her to sleep I did it with both my kids and they let me know when it was time to let go a lil (I really didnt want to) lol and let them fall asleep on their own...but I never let them cry themselves to sleep even though a lot of ppl told me to .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home