The Tweedles

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

It will grow flowers....

Adam may have been right....

I'm a hippy.

Today my midwife came over to pick up her birth pool and give us a receipt and I sent my placenta home with her. Initially I asked for it from the hospital because I wanted to encapsulate it, but since I needed stupid drugs I can't use it, so it's just been taking up space in my freezer. She said that she would take it home and use it in her garden, which makes me happy that it isn't just going to get thrown out. But that's not what makes me a hippy. As I was pulling it from the freezer I peeked into the outer bag and thanked it.
Yes, Internets I thanked my placenta. And the scary part is I didn't realize I had done it until I handed the bag over and realized that I thanked it.
I know that some people highly regard their placentas and some hold special ceremonies or other rituals to thank their placentas for what they've done. But I didn't know I was one of those people. I guess I am.

I think I need to go and buy some birkenstocks now... I wonder if they make baby ones too?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 5/07/2008 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as you shower regularly, there's nothing wrong with being a hippy! :)

 
At 5/09/2008 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, Dea, that's sweet...I actually envy you getting to keep your placenta, even if you gave it away. The hospital wouldn't even let me LOOK at mine :( --they sent it to pathology to dissect it because I had a tiny fever when I was checked in. Stupid hospital! Because I AM one of those people for sure and I really wanted to do something with it. At least see it! I think it's great that you thanked yours. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home