The Tweedles

Monday, February 11, 2008

39 Weeks

Today I am one week away from my estimated due date, but we all know that 40 weeks is an estimation and full term is anywhere from 37 to 42 weeks. So technically I've been full term for 2 weeks and it's just a waiting game to see when the baby decides to be born. Granted I would love for her to be born now. She's about 7 pounds and is making me feel rather stuffed. However 7 pounds isn't huge. I've had a few comments that it's quite big, but it's not, it's quite average, and I believe that my body won't make a baby bigger than I can birth.* (A funny thing, evolution is.) So I think that this little cherub is going to stick around a little longer. She hasn't shown any sign that she's ready to come out, so I suspect that I will give birth after the 41st week like most new mothers, which puts me giving birth the week of the 25th, which is 2 weeks from today. So I guess I'm in for the long haul. Fun fun!

*Please don't regale me with stories how your baby was sooo big and it was just impossible. There is a rare chance that a mother's pelvis is actually too small, but it's rare. Frankly I've heard enough horror stories from people about difficulties birthing and I don't need to be hearing them right now. (Why do people feel the need to tell me the bad stuff? It's like they are rooting for my homebirth to fail, and it makes me sad, and really makes me want to hide away from the world more.)

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 2/11/2008 1:55 PM, Blogger Regan said...

One time I heard from a friend of a friend that heard from her hair dresser that this lady had a baby that was so big it just ripped right through her stomach and tore a hole in her shirt and was delivered that way.

Or maybe she said she saw that happen in a movie. I can't remember.

 
At 2/11/2008 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah!! ...that reminds me of this thing that a friend told me she saw on youtube or something where a woman gave birth to a baby and he was so big that it actually pulled its way out by grabbing her ankles and busted her thingy all to hell!!

But he went straight into college and they really only had to change his diapers for like a week or something and it was pretty nasty cause he already was eating beer and pizza.

HAHA

Tammy

 
At 2/11/2008 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One day at a time, Dea. :)

 
At 2/12/2008 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL..I hope that you have one that explodes out your stomach!!! How cool would that be!!!

In my prenatal class there was a woman who asked if during labour the baby was going to crawl out. The teacher kinda looked at her funny, and asked what she meant. The woman proceeded to pantomime the baby crawling out of her hoo-ha. I never laughed so hard in my life!

Anyways, you are getting so close, and you are so strong, and I wish you the best possible labour out there. (even if it doesn't involve explosions of the belly.)

Kim

 
At 2/12/2008 6:24 PM, Blogger Gabrielle said...

Hi its nice to see that you are back in the land of your Blog.
after those well wishes from the above friends I think I will just say : I am looking forward to having a new grandbaby and I am sure that she will come when she is good and ready and that it will all be a breeze.

 
At 2/13/2008 5:06 AM, Blogger PEEPS PAGES said...

I hear ya! Plan for the longest time and hope for the shortest. Are they giving you any tea or primrose oil or any other things that midwives tend to give to mothers anxious to see their little one (or as I've heard before "get it the h*ll out!")? OR are you, in the midst of all the discomfort, still happy to meet Murp on Murp's own terms? You are a trooper Dea, keep up the great work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home