The Tweedles

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Eating.

I've complained here to the internets* about my inability to satiate my cravings during this pregnancy.
I thought I should elaborate on this issue since it's still plaguing me.
Apparently I'm too Canadian to be living in Northern California, the land of every culture and every food type EXCEPT anything Canadian. In the past I've made it no secret that I want Tim Hortons chicken soup, which is my most favourite in the whole wide world. However I can't get anything even similar to it here. To add to my list of can't haves is pho sate from Saigon Y2K in Calgary which I've decided is a bastardized pho soup because we can't find it here either, and yet I want it in all of it's salty, spicy, kinda fishy glory. And my latest addition to my list of can't haves is perogies.
Yesterday Adam and I searched for them in the local store and found one kind, a frozen low fat kind, which weren't very good. It boggled my mind that at home they are a whole section in the freezer and there is a huge variety of them, but here- nothing. Adam was quick to point out that I could have taquitos, any variety, but sigh, I NEEDED perogies.
So I had the crappy ones. And I cursed not being in Canada again.

Stupid Northern California with everything EXCEPT perogies, Tim Hortons and yummy pho.

*Adam hates it when people say the internets.... hee hee.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1/16/2008 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing I craved during my pregnancy was limeade. We lived right down the street from a Braum's (fast food chain that also serves high end ice cream) and they made the best limeades. I would take two to work with me every night.

Memories.....

 
At 1/18/2008 6:26 AM, Blogger PEEPS PAGES said...

I can sympathize with you on the issue... No necessarily because of the pregnancy cravings tho. I regularly have cravings for food in Canada. My husband has dubbed them "Jenny needs" because I crave them so badly the couldn't possibly fall into a want category. I should mention though that while living in Rhode Island, I was blessed when Tim Horton's took over a local coffee chain there... I was SOOOO excited. Their commercials made me homesick though cause they were still the ones you saw in Canada. Anyways here's the thin I miss the most

1. Peter's Drive in. Immediately on my trips to Calgary, After stepping off the plane, I will force my family to take a detour through 16th to Peter's where we will feast on Double Cheese burgers, onion rings and , milkshakes.

2.Butter tarts! No one makes them here. The store bought variety is the best too. So, during my trips to Calgary, immediately after we make a visit to Peter's Drive in.... we then head to Co-op for Buttertarts!

 
At 1/19/2008 5:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww, waaaah...that's a bummer!

my only craving recently has been popcorn, slathered in butter. and hilariously enough, last night I could NOT get it to pop properly. I tried three pots-ful, and though the last finally did pop (I basically just sauteed the first two batches of kernels), it was semi-burned. GAH!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home