The Tweedles

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Oh this house.

When we first moved in here I was totally enchanted by the cuteness of this house. I love little old houses and the charm they have. The landlord did warn us that the floor was a little sloped, but I wasn't so concerned about it, I figured that it would just add to the charm. And now? 10 months later? I want to be really mean to the house. (I would say more, but what if something did happen, I would totally be blamed!)
When we first were here we noticed that the water never got hot. It would stay luke warm, which made for a horrible shower, so we brought this to the attention to our landlord since I need to have hot showers, it's the way I like them. So he came over dubious that we knew what hot was because he had just put in a new hot water heater, which was tankless and supposed to be so amazing. Doubting that we can feel temperature he checked it with a thermometer and sure enough it didn't break 100 degrees, which isn't that hot for a shower. So he made some adjustments and put a low flow nozzle on the shower so that the pressure wouldn't over load the water heater and cause it to go cold. He also bemoaned the fact that the other tenants didn't tell him because he payed so much for the heater and the plumbers to install it.
After he "fixed" the tank Adam and I noticed that it would get hot, scorching, skin boiling hot, undulated with pee warm. We were forever jumping out of the stream of water to quickly adjust the cold to ensure that we weren't scalded. This went on for a while because Adam and I are too polite to say anything and were thinking that we just needed to find the sweet spot where we had the perfect mix of hot and cold. Except we never found it, and we had guests who got burned. So I called the landlord and he was so mad at me for not telling him sooner while it was still under warranty. I told him we thought we just needed to find the right mix. Anyhow he came out, several times to tinker with the system and it never got any better. He did take the temperature again and in the span of less than a shower it would range from 170 degrees to less than 100 degrees, which makes for a really crappy shower. However try as he might, it never got better and we just kept complaining.
Recently the hot water just won't turn on, or it cuts out completely in the middle of a shower. Since we're learning that this can be a long process I was quick to email our landlord when we realized this was happening. He came out to fix it and he did manage to make the flow consistent, however there is only hot water about half of the time. And now here we are, waiting for a real plumber, the landlord threatening to take the whole system out and me asking him to wait, because I am sure it will just be more of a headache.
I curse this house and it's faulty hot water system. I curse it for sharing a lot with two grumpy ladies in the back that make our lives difficult with their stupid garbage routine and little games. And I curse it for the one inch gap around the doors which let in a variety of bugs, dust and chills. Mostly I curse it because it's lost all of it's charm and I truly hate this house. I cannot wait to move out and I wish so badly that it was March now.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home