The Tweedles

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Good Luck Sue!

Today my cousin's wife Sue goes in to take her citizenship test. I'm excited for her, and I'm sure that she will do wonderfully.
When I was talking to her last night I asked about some of the questions that would be on the test and they were hard. Questions that not many Canadians would know. I find it funny that a landed immigrant who wants to be a Canadian has to know more than someone who graduated form the public school system in Canada. And for that matter what about if Adam and I decided to get dual citizenships. I'm going to have to learn a lot of stuff that will just clog my brain up.
I do feel lucky though, if I do get my citizenship here I can still be a Canadian citizen, and yet Sue has to give up her Korean citizenship. It's a little sad I think. But I do understand it, Korea is still in a war, albeit a cold war, but it's a war and I guess it's a good way for Korea to keep it's citizens loyal.
When I was in Korea I met a woman who had her son in Hawaii making him a dual citizen (Korea allows that to age 18), but she was going to leave him as an American citizen only so that he could avoid the mandatory draft when he got older. Learning that made me really thankful to be Canadian.
Anyhow, good luck Sue!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11/27/2007 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, the US Citizenship test is really easy. I mean, if R could pass it, I'm sure you can. Not that he's dumb or anything, but he does not have a good head for little facts.

 
At 11/28/2007 7:42 AM, Blogger PEEPS PAGES said...

when Matthew got his US Citizenship, he was asked random questions from a list. They spewed out of a randomizer and he got the easiest ones

"how many stars are on the flag?"
"Who is the current President?"

and one other one I couldn't remember. They only ask from a list of like 50 questions which are given beforehand. I took a look at the Q's and realized I could answer many of them just from watching American TV in CANADA (the Warner Brothers with Bugs Bunny were really helpful believe it or not)

then his spoken Competency statement was "I want to be an American Citizen". Seriously it is easy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home