The Tweedles

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thanksgiving in the US of A

Today I make the rookie mistake of grocery shopping on the day before Thanksgiving. Safeway was a MADHOUSE! I would suggest that no one should shop on the day before Thanksgiving.
So onto other things, ie food. Adam and I are going to have Gnocci, yummy, and I am going to make a Pumpkin pie (because Safeway was all sold out of them, thereby forcing me to be Betty Crocker.) One of the hounorees for my Team in Training Group is hosting a Thanksgiving dinner for any of us who want to go, but I somehow didn't get this week's mass email so I could RSVP. Which is all fine and good, I am sure that we wouldn't have gone anyhow, Adam has all of these plans for us for his extra long weekend (Americans get Thursday and Friday off, NICE!). I am wowed by how generous the family that is hosting the massive dinner is. Oh and an honouree is someone who has suffered or is suffering from leukemia or any of the other blood cancers, they are there to motivate us, and to keep the cause fresh in our mind. Yesterday one of the other honourees who was at our practice was a sweet 9 year old girl. She sat on a blanked on the grass and watched us run the whole time, and didn't complain about the cold. Her mom was one of the people who I was in an informal group with.
I digress.
Thanksgiving in America, it's weird (for me), I feel the pressure for Christmas already and the pressure of Thanksgiving, it's a wee bit stressful, I think I like the Canadian option better, I think it's more nicely spaced.

Anyhow, Happy Turkey Day everyone.

4 Comments:

At 11/22/2006 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahem. Ahem. MOST people get the Thursday AND Friday off... but for the rest of us who don't... Thanksgiving on a Thursday seems very pointless. I'm saddened At the celebration not being Nationally worth a Stat. LONG weekend...

Ohh well, At least there's Columbus day to Save us!

Jenny

 
At 11/22/2006 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.s. Happy American Thanksgiving!

Jenny

 
At 11/23/2006 9:20 AM, Blogger Gabrielle said...

HAPPY THANKGIVING………..

I am sure that you have a good pumpkin pie recipe; however, this is the best one yet.
Give it a try sometime.. this is the easiest pie to make and sooooooooooo so good

Harvest pumpkin pie.

I can 100z / 540 ml or about 2 ½ cups { fresh cooked }of Pumpkin pie filling
1 can of eagle brand condensed milk
2 eggs
½. tsp. of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger. { or whatever amount your taste likes }
1 deep dish unbaked pastry shell.
Mix everything well and pure into pie shell and bake at 350 for about 40 to 45 min or till knife inserted in center comes out clean. Pie will puff up and look like it is going to over flow but it will go flat once it is out of the oven……lots of whipped cram or topping.

YUMMMMMMMMY.

Be happy and give thanks to those that you love and for the simple things in life that make you happy.

 
At 11/23/2006 10:12 AM, Blogger Gabrielle said...

yah thanksgiving in the US of A means 3 extra football ganes this week....today...yah yah yah.....:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home