The Tweedles

Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Patch.

Not this one, or this one, I'm talking about this one. This patch fixes some holes in Microsoft which can let some viruses in. Adam installed ours this morning, then we had some fun times with drivers and not having 32 bit colour and high resolution. I'm not sure if they were related. In any case we have the patch and I'm happy. I'll tell you why.
Last summer when I was workin' for the Crazy Bank who whored me out to whatever branch they wanted, they didn't download the patch that was released like this one was. They got hit by the worm virus. All of the computers were down for the better part of 2 days. Well all of the new computers, not the archaic ones that they use to process transactions. But my computer was down, I couldn't do anything. So I called Adam, and told him that I had to unplug it from the wall. He asked if they used the patch. I had no idea, he guessed that they were hit by the virus. He knew to download it, but the IT guys at the bank, who's job it is to stay on top of this stuff? No. Clue. Oh well thanks to them I got to organize my office, catch up on my filing, and stare at the wall, a lot.
Now I wonder about this year, will they install it? I am so close to taking bets on this one. It could go either way. They may be on top of it, or they could have their heads up their asses, which is what they are really good at. Hmmm....
In any case, make sure you download it. Adam told me last year, that once a patch is released a virus generally gets released by some bad dude right after, 'cause they know that there is a hole and some people may not have fixed it.
Makes you wonder though, if they don't release the patch, then the bad guys wouldn't have known about the hole, then they wouldn't have made the virus, and all would be fine. Although I am sure that there will be the one time when a super bad smart guy will figure it out before the patch is made and we all will weep when we all lose our favorites.
I know I would.

1 Comments:

At 8/10/2006 3:11 PM, Blogger Ze Ace said...

They name viruses after the time they take to arrive after the patch. Most viruses are at least 14-day or so, but a bad hole like this one might get a 3-day bug. The dreaded viruses, though, are the 0-day bugs. They hit before the patch. Usually MS knows about the hole, but they're trying to test the patch before they send it out. Very rarely there's a virus that attacks a previously undiscovered hole. But probably 99% of viruses are not 0-day bugs, so keeping your patches up to date is better than running anti-virus. (Not that you shouldn't do that too)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home