The Tweedles

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Fire!

Today we awoke to the most heinous sound imaginable. The fire alarm in our complex went off, prompting us- if only to protect our hearing- to leave the apartment. So I bolted out of bed and rummaged to find something appropriate to wear outside in front of the neighbours. Then I grabbed the puppy and waited for Adam. He was in the closet looking for a shirt. Then he was looking for matching socks. And then he had to put the harness on the cat, and then he had to slide on his shoes. Now internet, had this actually been a fire, I would be less a husband now. I was yelling at him to hurry. He responded with "I need to get matching socks."
Yes, matching socks. I will explain why this drove me crazy.
Adam refuses to have any other socks other than black cotton socks.
Adam doesn't like to have his socks paired up, he likes them loose in his drawer. Really it shouldn't matter because there is only one kind of sock.
So you wonder what was taking him so long.
He likes to torture me.
Also the looking in the closet for a shirt?
CRAZY!
The drawer below the socks is full of neatly folded t-shirts, sorted by colour. He didn't need to look in the closet.
Needless to say, we didn't start out the morning well.
I also had this feeling of failure, like I have forgotten about every fire drill lesson learned in elementary school.

5 Comments:

At 8/09/2006 8:29 AM, Blogger Szetor said...

Hmmm... maybe to avoid having 'Adam flambe', why not keep a shirt and a pair of matching socks by the door? It sounds crazy, but it might work!

Seriously, dude... were you thinking of going to a McD's after escaping the fire? (No shirt, no shoes, no service...)

 
At 8/09/2006 1:23 PM, Blogger Ze Ace said...

I feel I have to defend myself here a little. First of all, the whole freaking building is made of concrete, so I don't know how a fire is really going to spread. Second, I wasn't trying to find socks, I was trying to put them on. And I don't know why Dea thinks I went into the closet to get a shirt, I got one from the drawer as she suggested. I think the deafening blair of the alarm was causing us to misunderstand the yelling conversation.

Finally, last time there was an alarm (Dea wasn't here), they didn't reset the alarm for 20 minutes. It was around the same time, 9:30ish, but I just tossed on flip-flops and left. By the time we got back in, I was running late for work. This time I figured I should get what I needed to go to work in case the alarm didn't turn off, or in case it was actually a fire. (Yeah right... CONCRETE DOESN'T BURN!!!)

 
At 8/09/2006 4:04 PM, Blogger TweedleDea said...

Hmmm... well then. Firstly, Honey, Poetic licence.
2ndly, it took you an awfully long time to put your socks on, you know they don't have a left and right designation like shoes, right?
I'll agree it rang for a really long time. Oddly enough it was louder outside than in, and I was really concerned about the pets hearing. Oh yeah and that my husband didn't burn in the fire that was raging in the complex!

 
At 8/10/2006 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tee hee
cyber-fighting

I love you guys... :)

 
At 8/11/2006 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to this one...while waiting for an ambulance after brad accidently cut off his finger while building our fence, I had to run around finding him matching white socks and a nice shirt... Im yelling "sit down" hes yelling "I need matching white socks" I ended up having to change all his clothes while we waited. what is with the need for matchign socks in an emergency?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home