The Tweedles

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Rants vol. 1

I need to make this a series because I foresee it being one.
Anyhow today I learned about Bill Donahue who is the head of the Catholic League. I saw him on the Colbert Report and he made this asinine comment how he is a true native American because he was born in New York and didn't come from Asia like the Native Americans did. (First Nations) Anyhow, had I been drinking milk I am sure it would have come out of my nose, and not because I would have been laughing but rather because he is an asshat, and his comment made the pressure in my head skyrocket which would have forced the milk out of my nose.
So, Mr. Donahue, granted the descendants of the Native Americans are from Asia, they crossed the land bridge, oh say, 10000 years ago. And you, Mr. Donahue, with your oh so translucent skin, look of a European descendant, which makes your pilgrimage here about say 400 years ago. Using this, much more sane logic, who truly is the Native American? Although clearly, you have troubles with sane logic. I say this after witnessing how you described evolutionism. I paraphrase: "The monkeys fell out of the tree, shed their hair and walked on 2 legs....".
Now this guy wonders why make slanderous statements about Catholicism. When asshats like him run around being complete morons and linking their moronic statements to the Catholic church, it's NATURAL that people get the wrong idea about said church. Although I don't agree with the Catholic Church, I won't slander it.
But Mr. Bill Donahue of the Catholic League is a narrow-minded ignorant asshat.
Now on to another asshat.
Mr. Geo.W.
Oi. This man makes my head hurt, and I think the only way to make this head hurt go away is to plunge it into a snow bank in Calgary. So I am sure that everyone has heard that he used his veto power for the first time to veto a stem cell bill. He vetoed it because he says it crosses a "moral boundary". To which I rolled my eyes, hard, very hard, it still hurts. And I am the reigning queen of the eye roll. It irritates me that he used morals to veto this. From where I stand he has NO MORALS! None. But that is beside the point. What really irritates me is that he is subjecting his morals on to the world (seriously the world) and I have a strong feeling that his "morals" aren’t so ethical and more religious. Also he is very precariously perched on the edge of a very slippery slope. The issue of embryonic stem cell research is oh so close to the abortion issue. If a law can be passed to prevent stem cell research, it can make it very easy to pass a law to outlaw abortions, thereby allowing the government jurisdiction over a person's body. THIS. IS. WRONG.
I think a better solution would be for good ol' G. Dub-Ya to EDUCATE the public, and let them be trusted to make the decision on their own. After all it is their bodies. And I say that the cells are still their bodies, it is a cell from the girl and one from the boy, (I won't give the whole lesson today, but let me know if you want me to explain it in more detail later!)

MY ONIPNIONS:

On the Catholic Church: I don't agree with a lot of their teachings, but I find the Catholic Church to be rather right, and I am rather left. I believe that gay people should be allowed to marry and have children, I believe that birth control is good, I believe that we evolved, I believe that using IVF to conceive isn't wrong. Now, although I believe* in evolution doesn't mean that other people can't believe in creationism. I can't even say that they are wrong. It frustrates me to see people with Darwin Fish, people have them in response to the Jesus Fish, in essence they are mocking the beliefs of someone, and that isn't fair.

On Stem Cell Research: From my understanding, the cells are still a bundle of cells (but I will call them embryos to be fair and clear) , I don't think there is a heart beat yet. Also if there can be a cure found using these embryos who are still just a bundle of cells, then why not? This being said, if I ever had to undergo IVF and we had embryos left I don't know if I could donate them, but on the other hand, I know I could not adopt them out and know that I had more children in the world somewhere. I think this is something that a couple should decide together, this isn't something that the government should decide for you.

On Abortion: I could never ever have one. However I don't think that they should be illegal. I understand that some people end up in situations, and it really bothers me to know that people use abortion as a way out; but on the other hand, some politician holding some office should not be able to dictate what I can and cannot do with my body.

On Religion: I think that religion teaches people to be good, and to do right by fellow man**. Although I don't subscribe to a religion I have my own morals and values and I hold myself to them, even though my values threatened to tear apart everything 6 months and one week ago.

*I think it's strange to say that I believe in evolution. I wanted to say that I study it, but I am not in uni anymore, however I did study it.
**Sometimes I use 'man' interchangeably with 'humankind', it used to really piss off one of my anthropology professors. She claimed with was sexist, but since I am not male she didn't really know how she could accuse me of being sexist. I wanted to tell her to burn her bra elsewhere... I have bigger fish to fry.

4 Comments:

At 7/27/2006 11:27 AM, Blogger Gabrielle said...

i,m tired after reading this long rant.......more people should think like you.........

 
At 7/27/2006 3:52 PM, Blogger Ze Ace said...

But please tell us what you really think...

 
At 7/28/2006 5:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I completely agree that GWB has lost ANY sense of moral compass, I believe that religion plays a part in that. I look at it this way:

Pretty much each religion holds itself up as superior to other religions. It's very PC now to say that all religions accept each other, but that simply couldn't be further from the truth. So while each religion give lip service to how good and holy everyone else is, they really put their member first - not in all cases, but for the most part.

To put morals firmly in the hands of the church one must accept that people are worthy of being treated well *because God says so.* I'll take doctrine pulled straight from the Catholics that man is born with *original sin* and therefore are inherently bad. The Catholic church would be happy to manage this badness with baptism and its own set of morals, but the implication is that without religious intervention, every baby would grow up to be an amoral person with amoral actions.

Now, contrast this with my personal belief, which is that people deserve to be treated well by the simple fact that they are humans and deserve compassion. Throw the pall of inherent badness out the window. It is wrong to kill, but that is because of the inherent value of humankind, rather than some diety's say-so.

This is why, when you stand me next to most of the Baptists here in TX, I come out looking like a better Christian than they do (I am an atheist). My moral code falls directly on the side of being kind to your fellow man *in every way possible.* I don't believe in the death penalty, but I certainly do believe in euthanasia and abortion, because those things are used in a palliative manner. For me, it would be far worse to have babies born to suffer (in the case of birth defects) or to be unwanted, neglected, and unloved. I think they would be better off being aborted. However, I don't believe that anyone can make that kind of decision for another person - it's something that only the mother could decide for herself. Likewise with euthanasia - having watched my grandfather suffer through months of agony, unable to move or recognize his own family because he was delerious with pain, having to be washed and cared for by his family, only to die in misery... well, I think he would have been better off to OD on his morphine a couple of months sooner. I don't see what is gained by hanging on and on.

This is, of course, just my honest opinion. Take it or leave it.

 
At 7/28/2006 1:06 PM, Blogger TweedleDea said...

Hmm I'll take it! I agree. I don't prescribe to a religion, I try to be good, and follow my own morals and values. It's worked for me so far and I think that it will continue to work for me. I can't forsee myself joining a group that says that they are better than everyone else, because they are them. I would rather be on the outside looking in and gleaning parts of what intrests me and applying it to my own life. I used to tell people that I believe in heaven and hell, but I am not sure that I agree with their placement as dictated by a church. I believed that if you think you are going to heaven you'll go, and likewise for hell. But where heaven and hell was located was dictated by you. If you thought that heaven was a field of lavender and posies then it was, or if you thought that was hell then it was. (Funny thing is I decided this all when I was a child, long before that Robin Williams movie came out.) Now I have a slightly altered idea, I've learned more of other religions, and I've grown. I could explain it all here, but it's complicated and it's still evolving in my head.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home