The Tweedles

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Homesick.

SO the way that blogger works is that the most recent post is added to the top of the queue. Which is great when you add a post a day. However I don't always do that. So this is my 2nd one of the day, and it's another lazy one. The one below this one is from my old blog, and I wanted to share an entry with you. Then I went on to read more and I found another one that I want to share. First some backgroud.
My lovely friend Kim Culbert* is an amazing photographer. She takes these pictures that are awe inspiring and leave me breathless. Sometimes I see something that I want to be able to capture the way that she does, but alas I don't have either the equipment, nor the ability. So instead I remember the scene. I have a whole collection of these scenes in my head. When I encounter a landscape, or something that moves me, I make myself remember every detail, all of the contrasting colours, textures, shades and whatnot.
Last November when I was driving home from work in Crossfield back to Calgary I encountered one of these scenes. I described it in my other blog.
Here it is.

Yesterday I was driving home from work and I was awestruck by the sunset. Then I chastised myself for being such a sappy girl… “It’s a bloody sunset, guess what? It happens EVERY DAY!”I just kicked myself in the shin and tried not to drive off the road as I watched it as I was driving. There are some days that I really wish that I had a camera with me it was that pretty. But I memorized it. The sky is pink with long creamy finger clouds stretching across the horizon. Just below the horizon are the Rocky Mountains poking into the pink in all of their craggy glory. They are a sooty black, which makes a clear contrast on the sky. You can really see the line of the mountains when there is this much of a contrast, like someone used a sharp knife and carved them into the horizon. In front of the mountains there are the lights of Calgary. They are far away and more of a sparkle than individual lights. They also have a sharp contrast to the mountains. A picture wouldn’t do any justice because you wouldn’t see them twinkle. Just in front of the lights of Calgary are the lights of Airdrie. They are bigger and you can see more individual lights. They aren’t twinkling, but they aren’t glaring. With the sun setting it isn’t really dark and still have natural light around them diluting them, giving them a slight haze, softening the halo of the light. Closer to me, between Airdrie and me is a farmer’s field. It’s spotted with round bails that still have their bright green colour of fresh cut hay. The field around the bails is stubby, as the grass has stopped growing for the season. It’s a dusty green colour, with dirty snow melting in the shallows of the field. The whole scene is quite pretty. It’s one that I have filed away in my brain under “beauty”.

Anyhow let me know what you think.

* Kim has a website and you should all go and see it. I would have made Kim's name a link, but I couldn't figure out how to and it's late and I am little patience when I am tired. it's www.kimculbert.com
Go, buy her prints, they are fab!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home