The Tweedles

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Ceramics Round up.

I am taking a ceramics course here, and I love it. I have mentioned it to a couple people and I have had requests to post some pictures of my things. Here are some pictures of all of the things that I have made and have at home.
I also have made a pillar candle holder, which was covered in roses, but I gave it away, and I have some stuff that is still in the class being finished. When they are done, I'll post the pictures.
















This is the head view of the first figure sculpture that I attempted. I like how I did his hair. He isn't fired yet, he is solid so he will take a while to dry, he'll get fired in October when class resumes, and I think I'll glaze him white.
















This is the bum view of my guy. Initally when I gave him a bum it got squished cause he sits on it when I was working on the rest of him. It's a nice bum, eh?
















Here is his face. He's an older guy and has a beard.

















He sits up on one arm, but he needs something to lean on. Also I forgot to give him a belly button.
















Here is the full view of him.

















This is a dragon I made. A nice top view! We were practicing to make creatures and hollow them out so that they would dry quicker. To do so you have to be fearless and cut them in half lengthwise and scoop the insides out.
















Rear view. You can see that I broke some of his spines off. Oops.
















Side view.
















Other side view.
















Front, see his teddy bear?
















Sometimes I made useful things too. This is a square plate I made. The first one, so it's a little wibbly wobbily. I don't really put much effort into painting my pieces, I would rather paint them one colour, but I thought I would try something new. I rather like the effect.
















Here is the top view. The painting I did on it is supposed to look like a chinese water colour.
















This is a bowl and a platter. I made them really unstructured on purpose. I like to make things neat and tight. They are made of coils coiled into flowers and more coils around them to make the rough shape.

















Here's a shot of the bowl. When I glazed them, I used a dark colour for the first coat and a lighter blue for the top coats so that the darker blue would settle between the coils to highlight them more. You can see some of the white from the clay too beacause it is on the high part and the glaze turns liquid when it is heated in the kiln and flows to the lowest point.
















This is a close up of one of the flowers on the platter.
















The platter.
















This is the first thing I made. It's a hand and a quill. It can hold a pencil, but I angled the hole the wrong way, so it's just a decoration. I love the glaze that I used. It's a mix of two glazes actually.

















Close up.

















Other side.
















Top view.






So that's all I have now. If you have any ideas of what I should make let me know. I have a million ideas but you might have some other ones.

cheers!

2 Comments:

At 7/14/2006 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome!
I like the pen non-holder and the dragon the best.
Way to go, Dea!

 
At 7/19/2006 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loovvvveee the platter and bowl! Very cool, Dea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home