The Tweedles

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Decisions (edited)

I haven't made it a secret that Adam and I really want to have a baby. So along with our discussions on timing, names and nursery options we've also discussed other more hippy topics. Like co-sleeping, babywearing, breastfeeding and circumcision. For the record I am pro on the first three and vehemently oppose circumcision.
Did you know that when the doctor circumcises a baby, the baby is strapped down onto a board? Then when the doctor starts he has to rip the foreskin off of the baby's penis! The foreskin is attached to the baby like your fingernail is attached to your fingernail bed. It's not until the child is older does it start to detach.
Like reading up on what kind of a stroller I want, I've also researched circumcisions, and I'm glad I'm not a boy! I've read a lot of the arguments that parents give as to why they get them. My favourites are: It's cleaner. So I wonder if the parents have ever heard of soap, and how it's used. Furthermore the majority of the men in the world aren't circumcised and they're still clean. Another argument is that a circumcised male is more protected against AIDS. To which I reply-- condoms. (I've read both sides of this argument, so say it increases the odds and other say it doesn't)
Anyhow here's a website about circumcision and some of the techniques used. Look at the pictures (they're gory, be warned) and then if you're a woman be thankful you are, if you're going to have kids, vow never to do that to your baby boy, and if you're a man who has been circumcised, I'm truly sorry. Finally if you're an uncircumcised man, count yourself lucky!


Edited to add...
Jenny, I know that you did not want to be controversial, and I'm glad that you left a comment. It's nice to read an honest, educated comment. I understand that doctors are gentle and not tearing away at a baby. Ripping was a bad verb for me to use. This whole rant was the product of people just not understanding what really happens when they agree to a circumcision, or agreeing to one without even thinking of the other option.
I was going to add a little anecdote and didn't, but here it is.
When I was in England I worked for a Jewish family and the mother explained to me in hushed tones that her son was a little different "down there". She went on to explain that she didn't want me to be shocked and that although she didn't really practice her religion she wanted to make sure her son went to the private Jewish schools in the area. She seemed, to me, a little ashamed that she had to have her son circumcised. I explained to her that it's quite common in Canada and assured her that I had seen a circumcised penis; she was relieved, telling me that it wasn't as common in the UK. I didn't think much of it then, but I had just moved to England and was still reeling that I was actually there. Later I thought about it and learning that it's not widely done in England made the UK seem so much more prosh to me. Fast forward to now, when I really need to consider it, and reading what I have, I've developed strong opinions. I also wanted to have a link to that website 'cause I am sure that there will be people who would question me on my decision.

Now, is it okay or is it not okay to pierce a baby girl's ears before she can decide for herself?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 6/02/2007 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm, I'll start by saying that I don't plan to circumcise my child if a boy and I have mild opinions on the subject, BUT as an operating room nurse who has participated in actual circumcisions with MD's I can tell you that the procedures are not necessarily as barbaric as they seem. This is however only my experience from being in the operating room at the Children's hospital in Calgary. Religious institutions may have different practices, as may other hospitals or even the US itself (Just from seeing the other nurses stories in the website looks like there are many different schools of thought).

I do remember the doctors took the procedure VERY seriously and took all measures to provide comfort to the babes (always with anesthesia and local) and the "ripping" that happens was actually not ripping. Strapping babies to a board, at least where I was, was identical to any Adult having surgery, they were safety measures to ensure the patient didn't fall off the bed (or in this case, unexpectedly move and involve trauma)

I understand that there are those with VERY strong beliefs on the matter. This is just providing an alternative view that it is not ALWAYS an inhumane procedure for those that desire it. And I suggest that anyone reading this (that want circumcision) really investigate the MD's practices before going through so that they are satisfied with the method. That's my 2 cents.

Jenny.

 
At 6/03/2007 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said.

To Jenny's comment, you're right, the truth of how it's done should be made clear and honest. But anesthetizing a child for a medically unnecessary surgery doesn't make it okay. I think you understand this, but I've spoken with far too many parents who say it's alright that they had (or will have) their sons circumcised because the boys "didn't feel it." (Strangely, they often ignore the pain inherent in the healing process.) Being "pain-free" just isn't enough when talking about unnecessary surgery.

Again, I think you get this, so please know that I'm not attacking you. I just view this through a different filter. As an American male born in the south in 1973, I'm fairly certain proper anesthetic wasn't used when I was circumcised. Even if it was, that's of little comfort to me. I'm still without what was a healthy, functional part of my anatomy without my consent. I was the patient, not my parents. They didn't have the right to consent. I consider that inhumane and barbaric.

Given the consensus and limited access to honest information in 1973, I understand it. That doesn't excuse it in any way, but I understand. But in 2007, with the Internet, any disregard for the ethics of imposing unnecessary surgery - with the additional risks inherent in any surgery - simply isn't acceptable, regardless of how comfortable we can make the surgery.

 
At 8/17/2007 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for article!

 
At 8/17/2007 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for interesting article.

 
At 8/28/2007 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to read articles like this. Thanks to author!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home