The Tweedles

Monday, November 06, 2006

Two Wrongs Make a Right?

I read this article today and I am so upset.

It talks about how Saddam Hussein has been sentanced to death by hanging.

Now while I think what he did was wrong, I don't think he should be killed. I know that he hurt and killed a lot of people, but if he is killed for it, doesn't that make the people who are judging to kill him no worse than him? Also why hanging? Isn't that archaic?

I think it would be better to let him rot in jail. Let him be forgotten and let him live to see how Iraq will recover after him, (and after the stupid war). Let him waste away and have no one care about him. Let him spend his last few days alone in a cell where he can think about his life, and how he has no one in his life who cares to be there with him during his last moments, or to take his body after he passes. That's what he deserves.

Instead he is given a judgement where he will go out in a political gunfight. It will be on the tips of everyone's tounges again, now, not years from now when the war is history and he isn't worth more than a passing comment at the end of a news program. This judegment allows him to make a statement: "Allahu Akbar!" (God is Great) and "Long live Iraq! Long live the Iraqi people! Down with the traitors!".

In his hometown people are rioting, showing their support for him. In other cities in Iraq people are celebrating the judgement. Isn't there enough turmoil in the country... why create more?

And the ass monkey of all ass monkies* gets to make a statement, calling it a "milestone" in the efforts of the Iraqi people "to replace the rule of a tyrant with the rule of law".

Regardless of what I think,he will be hung with in 30 days if he isn't able to have the decision appealed within 10 days.

Also he is convicted of the deaths of 148 people in 1982. I want to know what about retribution for all of the other people he hurt?

Now, before I am blasted for thinking he should live, please know that he is a horrible horrible man, and he did wrong to humanity. But if he is hung he will be given the chance to die in the public's eye, even as a martyr in his own eyes. I think a much more fitting punishment will be for him to rot, and relive why he's there, and perhaps then he can feel the wrath of what he has done.

* rhymes with Smushey.

4 Comments:

At 11/07/2006 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No blasting, just agreement. Rotting takes longer, proves more and is more humane on our side.

 
At 11/07/2006 8:03 AM, Blogger Lesley said...

I can see your point and appreciate your opinion. However, I do think that one point needs to be admitted for consideration. You said, "...he hurt and killed a lot of people, but if he is killed for it, doesn't that make the people who are judging him no worse than him?"

Now, I'm no fan of the death penalty, but I don't think you can equate Saddam's actions to those of his convictors, and here's why: Saddam's crime is the torture and murder of innocent people mainly for no other reason than to assert his own authority. His convictors have found him guilty, and their actions represent that finding. They are not killing an innocent man, they are punishing a felon for a crime.

So no, I don't think that puts them on Saddam's level.

And the main problem I see in having him sit in prison the rest of his life is that the country still contains his followers--and being such a volatile place, there's no guarantee that he won't be forcibly restored. And that would be disastrous.

Still, I respect your opinion and appreciate your reasoning.

Thanks for writing.

 
At 11/07/2006 10:21 AM, Blogger Gabrielle said...

I see your point and yes to have him rot in jail would be a good thing .......however I agree with Lesley.
also I think that his followers need to know that his actions have a penalty and they are not accepted by the people of his country.

 
At 11/07/2006 12:41 PM, Blogger Lorraine said...

i totally agree with you on the Sadaam thing - let him rot in there - otherwise he's just going to become another martyr.
BTW - glad to find your blog. I am a Canadian in this strange land also. And wishing I could vote today - I think if you are the parent of American children, you should be given a vote.
Happy writing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home