The Tweedles

Thursday, November 02, 2006

On being Canadian in America.

It seems as though I have touched on a wee little nerve with the Canadian vs American debate.
A month or so ago I found a writing competition. You had to write an essay detailing whether or not Americans have a grasp on reality. I wanted to enter the contest but I didn't have enough time. I did think about it a lot and it's stayed with me.
So here's what I think:
I think that individually Americans do have a grasp on reality. However, as a collective they don't. I've come to this conclusion for a couple reasons. Since I live here I have met a lot of Americans and have had a chance to talk about a lot of issues and what not and they have valid opinions and make good arguments. As a collective I feel that Americans don't have a grasp on reality. I made this bizzare comment as a Canadian on the outside looking in. Or merely as a non-American looking in. I think the world has this view that America is or is trying to be the ruler of the world. This isn't always seen as a positive thing. There were a lot of times when I was travelling that I would be mistaken as being American and therefor be treated badly. When I would assert myself as being Canadian I would get apologies and free stuff (so cool), I am sure that the person that was confusing me with an American may not have had that much interaction with Americans. Rather they just know what they have heard in the news and seen on tv. So the world has the perception that Americans don't have a grasp on reality. I am sure that if the store owner in Korea who denied me my sticky bun spoke to any of the Americans I know their opinions would change.
I will acknowledge that there are exceptions. There are some truly ignorant Americans out there... ryhmes with Mush, and this guy. Also there are some truly ignorant Canadians too.
I guess overall I try not to assign a title to someone until I know them a little more. Perhaps I don't know a lot of ignorant Americans becasue when I get a hint of ignorance I don't interact with them more, likewise with Canadians.
What do you think? Do you agree with my theory of individual vs collective grasps of reality?

2 Comments:

At 11/03/2006 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely. I would have to say that in the specific region I'm in, it is certainly visible. However, there is such an influx of Immigrants to this area (Boston/Providence) from all over the world that the elitest behaviour is more diluted than I expected. They either have an immense understanding of other cultures (especially Canada as this area has a large population of Quebecois and the people I interact with have asked several questions on the internal political struggles of Anglo v Franco People ) or they are surprised by my ability to speak English so well (as their stereotype is based on the fact that Quebec is right above us and many don't venture farther than that). But either way, each person has had a genuine interest in learning about Canada. I must also add that many here will joke that I'm taking a job away from an American, and that they should really limit the immigrants that come here... but it is all in jest. I have found... so far... that people here, accept that everyone at some point was an immigrant. I will certainly let you know how it is in Philadelphia, when I move there, but for now, I am proud to say that this portion of America is very Canadian friendly.

Jenny

 
At 11/03/2006 9:46 AM, Blogger Francesca said...

I basically agree, although almost no group stands up to general scrutiny. And as an American who has wandered the world and shouldered my share of collective blame for my strange and smelly country, I wish that more people were willing to look at the individual rather than the group identifier, whether that is race, gender, age or nationality.

I take heart from the individuals, which counters the daily heart-sinking of news of the multitude.

Here via the NaBloPoMo randomizer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home