The Tweedles

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Proposition 85

There are some elections coming soon, and I can tell. Every time I turn on the TV there is some ad blasting me to vote yes, or no, or that yes is wrong, or that no is. Or actors can't lead, or they can, or ahhhh.... Seriously I think that if I could vote here I would go crazy. (I would vote though!) There are so many issues and you have to make a decision on all of them. Off the top of my head there is: prop 87, 85, 89 (I think), 91, and 92. I can't remember any more, but registered voters get a book that is about three quarters of an inch thick giving the pros and cons of each of them and a summary on each of the candidates running for every position.

I titled this Prop 85. It bothers me to my core. In this proposition it will be required that if a teen opts for an abortion she has to notify her parents and wait 48 hours before she can have the procedure. Now while I think that far too many women/ girls have abortions as a form of birth control, there are instances where they are necessary. Anyhow I digress. There is never a time in my life when the government can tell me what to do with my body. NEVER.

The Yeses argue that it will prevent rapes from being hidden. It tells the story of a girl who was raped and the rapists mother took her to get an abortion and then took her out of the city to recover. The mother of the girl notified the authorities when she noticed her daughter had gone missing. To add insult to injury the abortion hadn't been done properly and the girl needed to have another one. While this whole story is horrible I think that there is a bigger issue. Why didn't the girl go to her parents? I think that the bigger issue is a parenting one. Teens need to know that they can speak to their parents about anything. Parents need to stop relying on the school system to education their children about sex and sexual issues. Perhaps if that girls parents had always had open lines of communication then she wouldn't have been in that situation either. Furthermore why was she having sex at 13? How much had her parents talked to her about sex growing up? Not much I bet. Maybe Prop 85 should make parents take mandatory parenting classes.

The Nos argue that this will result in more child abuse and more children who are being put out on the streets by their parents. I think it's scary to think of a girl who's gotten pregnant and is scared to tell her parents about it for fear of what they will do. She is already in a horrible place in her life, don't force her to make it worse.

Obviously if I could vote, I would vote no. I think that situations like what the yesses are basing their argument on is avoidable by having a good relationship with your child(ren) and making sure that they know you're there and that you will listen and not hurt them. Also to re-iterate I would be a no because a government can't tell me what to do with my body. I can't stress that enough. It's just not right.

Prop 87.
This one is to decrease California's dependence on foreign oil and increase the use of cleaner energy. Also Bill Clinton is a yesser. I can understand how this is good. It will also create more jobs, and help to reduce pollution.

The noers argue that it will increase taxes, and we don't like more taxes. Initially I was a noer, the yesses had a commercial that started with showing a burning American flag, as it pans out you can see that it's Arabic (I think) men who are burning the flag. The voice over says "We buy their oil, they burn our flag," I was enraged when I saw this because it's blatant propaganda. The flag burning is something different, it has nothing to do with the Americans buying their oil. BLATENENT PROPAGANDA. BLATNENT. Just because of that I was a no. Then Adam explained to my why he was a yes. There is a chance that a lot of the jobs that will be created are in the techie industry. Which is good, and could benefit Adam. I do really agree with using cleaner fuels, and on principle Prop 87 should be a go ahead. We should make the environment a priority. However that one commercial sullied the whole campaign for me. If I could vote I don't know what I would do. Scaring voters is wrong and unfair.

Well those are the ones that I know the most about. I think the most important thing is that people do the research and vote. Don't just believe what you see on TV.

2 Comments:

At 11/06/2006 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly, stuff like this that makes me cringe. Read here…every dystopia sci-fi you’ve ever seen/read.

Who's is making all these rules you ask...well, guys like 'Super American 'poster-boy Pastor Ted Haggard.

Almighty, Good Doing, Righteous Dad/Husband and God Fearing Pastor Ted by day.

Pastor BadTouch...snorting meth and rimming a$$holes for money in a gay loving frenzy by night.

These are the Americans that are telling you that you should not be allowed to have abortions, telling loving gay couples that they are not allowed to get married, pointing the finger at everyone and anyone in the vain attempt to draw the attention away from their own perversions.

ug. thats all i can say about it.

An interesting political blog that talks about this…and other issues.

http://liberalwarjournal.blogspot.com/

 
At 11/06/2006 1:35 PM, Blogger Ze Ace said...

Dea's second most despised add is a prop 87 No commercial. It starts with a picture of a document and blabs: "Do you really know what prop 87 is? It's a document full of over 12,000 WORDS which are LEGALLY BINDING!..." (Their emphasis, accentuated by the the text flying off the screen into our faces)

Uhm, duh?

It goes on to say that some of the words are scary and I think it says that people who vote yes feed babies to Hitler. Something like that anyway...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home