The Tweedles

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Roll Fog Roll.

Today was an interesting day. After putting my boots away a couple of seasons ago, I decided that I NEEDED to torture myself again. OH and torture there was. I won't even say that I tortured myself, no I will give that badge of honour to the coach, Kevin Sullivan. I swear he is one sadistic mofo, which makes for a great coach! He reminds me of my first coach, who I once thought was amazing, until she went all looney and stuff.
Anyhow the practice... I learned that it's a lot like riding a bike, you just don't forget it. And I learned that although I spend a hell of a lot of time at the gym, I need to brush up on my cardio. Apparently you don't elliptic across a field, and I can't squat my way across, nor can I do crunches to get across. All of the strength I have gained, is a little for naught, for now. Not for long though.
The girls were lovely. I felt a little old, which is strange, I have always felt like I was the young one before when I played, mostly cause I was. Not so much now.
So the girls. They are a talented bunch, fast and small and skilled. Even the newbies have the great newbie lack o' fear, which is great. They were a sweet bunch, no huge attitudes and welcoming. Granted it's the first women's team the club has ever had, but still there was no showboating which was nice.
Now, the men. When we got to the pitch I asked a bunch of guys who were making their way onto the field if the women were practicing there also. They looked at me and smiled and said that it was only the women. Which struck me as strange as there were more men then women. I was there really early, but it was nice to see the men there setting up for the women. More arrived too and helped out, filling in when there weren't even numbers and just being great supporters. All of the men introduced themselves to each girl there and were so genuine and nice. Adam was also there and was planning on staying in the car and reading, but the men wouldn't have any of that and asked him to come and visit with them, which was really nice of them! That would have never happened in any other club I have played for. The men made a point of welcoming the women to the club and mentioned that we are a part of the club and therefore will be treated as such. Again, I haven't been in a club that welcomed women so wholeheartedly. It was really refreshing and nice.
Finally about me, and rugby again. Short of me not being a runner, although I have never been one, I mostly survived. I sun burnt my right arm, which sucks and my face which sucks more. I was wearing sun screen, but I sweat, a lot. I felt myself getting really dehydrated, which I am apt to do easily, you know- the sweating.... So I would go off to drink a lot, but it made me feel super lazy and fat, but I needed to drink. Some of the guys who were watching kept telling me to drink Gatorade, but I hate the stuff, it's too sweet and gives me a sugar high... so I would drink some then some water. Also I have never really felt I was that much of an athlete that I needed Gatorade. Fast-forward to the cool down lap. I was running like the slug I am, and then I hit the ground, like a dead slug, who was standing upright. Oh and then enter pain. My right calf, knotted up like a horny teenagers panties, being shoved into a pocket. Some of the previously mentioned sweet girls tried to massage it out, but apparently my body would have none of that, and responded by knotting up tighter. One of the girls went to get the medic, and then a handful of the nice burly rugby guys came trundling across the field to further shame me. Except they were so sweet, there was no shaming, they were genuine and cared that my body was trying to reject my calf muscle by forcing out through the hair follicles. They made me drink Gatorade, massaged my leg and even blocked the sun from my eyes. Tres sweet, non? Apparently I was just a wee bit dehydrated.... oops.... I had to sign a waiver to allow them to post photos of me on the website, and I could barely hold the pen I was so shaky. Anyhow all's well that ends well. I lived as you can see here. By the time Adam and I got home, I was really feeling the effects of the sun, dehydration and being old. I felt like ass, but I so cannot wait for Tuesday night's practice!

Oh the here's link for the San Francisco Fog in case you missed it earlier. Now you can go and read up about them, and know that I am playing for a kick ass club.

3 Comments:

At 8/13/2006 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dea, Dea, Dea! What did I tell you about going out in the sun, young lady? Not only do you have to apply the sunscreen, you have to RE-apply the sunscreen.

I'm glad you had fun, but please make sure to be careful! If you don't like Gatorade, try Emergen-C, which tastes kind of weird, but is not really sweet, and will keep you balanced when you're sweating a lot.

Do I need to tell you again? Don't make me come over there....

 
At 8/13/2006 4:02 PM, Blogger TweedleDea said...

Today I bought some zinc oxide for my face, hopefully it won't rub off as easily. And it's clear, which is good too. Now any ideas how to get rid of a tan.... I don't like being tan, pale is more my colour!
But in any case Lisa, do come over!!

 
At 8/14/2006 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY YOU WENT!!!
WOO HOO RUGBY!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home