The Tweedles

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Forward Thinker?

I am sure that you all have heard that the president of Iran has his own blog now. I am a little at a loss of what to say about this. I have thought about it for a couple days now and I feel that I have created a little mental conundrum for myself.
I want to question if it is fair that he can use a blog to speak to his people. But then again, why not? I chide myself that I should be more open minded and not only think with a western mind. I ask myself if any western leaders (IE: PM Stephen Harper, or Prez. G.W. Bush-ey Busherkins) would ever consider such a thing. In Mr. Ahmadinejad's blog he tells about his own life and has a section to leave questions and has a poll. Would Bush ever ask the people what they think? (Don't answer, 'cause we all know the answer all ready.) See, now I am inclined to think that Mr Ahmadinejad has his finger on the pulse of his people, and that the western guys have a lot to learn. Never mind kissing babies, let people read your own thoughts, it's much cleaner and less risk of getting baby boogies on your face.
BUT! (there's always a but) is this just a subtle form of propaganda? He has made it available in 4 languages, Farsi, Arabic, French and English. Essentially he has made it available to the world. Propaganda for the world?
In his poll he has questions decisions that the US has made or will make. I wonder if he is doing this for a publicity stunt like the article muses, or is he doing to demonstrate his humanity, and Iran's humanity. Is that why he made it available in English too? So that the Americans (and their buddies) could see the humanity in Iran and be less likely to jump the gun as quickly as they did with Iraq?
I can understand how it could be frightening for Iran to be labeled part of the Axis of Evil and then watch Iraq get sucker punched. If I were the leader of Iran I would want to have an easily accessible outlet for the world to learn that I'm not the bad ass that I was labeled as, in hopes of avoiding a beating by the school yard bully. A blog translated into 4 languages is easily accessible, and could thrum up more support for Iran worldwide, and more for Mr Ahmadinejad in his own country.
I really hope that he is doing it in an honest attempt to reach the people of Iran and the world. I think that it could be the beginning of a way to help everyone see beyond borders, to not see Mr Ahmadinejad as Iranian, but as a leader. To see Iranians as people, not terrorists and nuclear weapon totin' miscreants. I think it will be a great way for us as Westerners to see that other cultures and countries are valid too, that our way and culture isn't the only one. Hey, it might work in reverse too with the question section and poll. Perhaps we as North Americans can demonstrate that we aren’t all crazy right winged fools who can't perceive anything beyond their chain linked fence.
Maybe it will be the beginning of a trend for the world.
Or maybe he just wants to have his own blog, to be cool, like me!

1 Comments:

At 8/20/2006 10:12 PM, Blogger MadameBoffin said...

This is an interesting find.

Although I can't speak for the Iranian president's intentions, I think that this is an interesting angle and I think, essentially, a good one. Dialogue can only be a good thing and, as a citizen of the world, having access to this particular man's personal thoughts and opinions on events that have a global effect is both interesting and informative. As you touched on, this can help in getting westerners an inside-look into Iran, to see them more than the Axis of Evil (let's not forget that Bush also uses propaganda and this is a part of it). I wish my Prime Minister would do this (although, considering who my PM is, it might the most boring blog on the planet!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home