The Tweedles

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

YAY Obama, Boo Prop 8!

Lets start this post on a happy note, shall we?
So first of all, I am so over the moon that Obama won. And how great that it was California that sent him over the top and totally crushed McCain?
Last night we were at a friend's and we all crowded around her TV to watch McCain concede and to watch Obama's speech. It was pretty amazing, and I may have gotten a little teary eyed. I am so happy that I can look forward to the next for years rather than dread what might happen next.
On Jan. 20 I predict that Obama and family will rent a really strong steam cleaner to get the Bush stink out of the White House!

And the not so happy note.
Prop 8 passed, and I am not happy. More than not happy. I am devastated. I would like to be naive and say that I don't understand how a blue state could let this happen. But I guess, blue or red, hate is hate and there is hate, and this proposition was peddlin' the hate.
We were in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago and I saw a Yes on Prop 8 sign in a church window, which upset me. It bothers me that people use religion to perpetuate hate, and really, wouldn't a true Christian be tolerant? I think, too, that fear played a part, but I don't understand it. The Yesers talk about preserving marriage and whatnot, and I think that gay marriage does it's part to preserve it. Marriage is about love and commitment, not about penises and vaginas and the "proper" distribution of them. So for the religious folk who claim that marriage is only for a man and a woman, what about hetero people on their 4th or 5th marriages? I think that those people have destroyed the sanctity of marriage more then a lesbian couple who love each other and have been committed to each other for a long time. Furthermore just because the gay guys in the apartment next to you are married doesn't negate your hetero marriage, only you can negate your own marriage. So why the fear? Why the hate?
Also to add insult to injury one of the provisions of prop 8 is that only a marriage between a man and a woman is "valid or recognized" in California. Therefore anyone who was married is no longer; how horrible is that?
A friend commented yesterday that if you were to read the proposition and replace "gay" with "black" (or Chinese, Indian, white, blue eyed, brown eyed....) that it would be a horribly bigoted proposition. And yet, it passed.

I am sad.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home