The Tweedles

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Poor Houdini

Living in California has left me a little stale on my Canadian news, and especially my Okanagan news.
I just found out today that highway 97 between Peachland (the town I grew up in) and Summerland (the town my dad lived in while I was growing up, which is right next to Peachland) is closed because the mountain is sliding. The problem with this is that this highway is the link between the Central and South Okanagan Valley. To get around you can go north around the lake, but that is a seriously huge detour, you can go through the mountains, which is a less huge detour, or you can take a free water taxi, but you are left without your car at the end, in an area with crappy transit. Luckily this is where the Valley has a natural economic break, because Peachland is associated with Kelowna and Summerland with Penticton.
Let's also say, that I'm glad that I'm not living there right now. There was a time when I had to drive that highway everyday, going from Summerland to Kelowna.
Now Houdini, he is a Mountain Goat that fell in the fissure that was created by the mountain slipping away. He was rescued and some guy with dreads gave him mouth to muzzle, so Houdini lives another day, and Dread Guy is now known as the guy who kissed a goat.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home