The Tweedles

Monday, April 10, 2006

I'm no Physicist

Often when I am at the gym repenting past sins on the crosstrainer before I have my session with my trainer, I need to distract myself. Really I am not all that bad so my repenting can be kept to a minimum. To this end I will turn my MP3 player up really loud, which will get me dirty looks from Barbie-The Menopause Years on the trainer next to me. I ignore her, turn up my music and keep on repenting, sometimes thinking how fun it would be to strangle her with her braided terry cloth sweat band. When I really get into my groove and feelin' some pain, my mind starts to wander and I start composing blogs. I have written epic blogs in this state of mind. I am sure that they are the equivalent to some of my druken poetry, which only one other person has ever been privy to. It was, shall we say, interesting. Another place that I like to pre-blog is when I am driving. I try to remember it well but it's not always easy. I can't take notes while I am driving, I'm sure that it is a little illegal. I could carry a little recorder and record it, but I can't bring myself to being that geeky... although I really like the idea. So I just think of it over and over, trying to commit it to memory. More often than not, my memory just doesn't serve me so well. What seemed so perfect and witty, is crap. I'll give you an example.

The weekend that Adam and I went to SanFrancisco we drove over this bridge that went over a strange long narrow building. Adam explained to me that is was 2 miles long and it is used to speed up neutrons or electrons so that they can crash into each other and make a little mini explosion which creates another element or some new miniscule thing that should be on the table of elements. This would be all well and good except the new thingy expires and is gone. So these Physicists speed up the little neurons and crash them into each other to create something that will only exist for a second or so. Personally I find this silly. They take all of this time and energy, essentially for nothing. Couldn't they better use this to make....

Now this is where I have forgotten my punch line. It was funny yo. Something like crash toghether 2 pairs of shoes and get 40. Now that's science!

2 Comments:

At 4/11/2006 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm.
Almost the exact opposite of the person who says "have you heard the joke about *insert punchline here*? No? Oh, let me tell it to you"...

heh

 
At 4/11/2006 4:51 PM, Blogger Ze Ace said...

It's actually electrons and anti-electrons (although positrons and anti-positrons are sometimes used). And when they smash together at 99.999% of the speed of light, they create sub-sub-atomic particles like quarks and bosons. And we wish they'd stick around for a whole second. They usually have half lives less than 10^-10 s. (It's the Stanford Linear Accelerator if you're curious www.slac.stanford.edu)

So now you know, and maybe my mind-boring refresher has nudged Dea back towards her brilliant puchline...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home