The Tweedles

Monday, March 09, 2009

Culture Shock.

I've been in California for over 3 years and I still find myself totally exasperated by culture shock. It's the silly little things that just make me want to pull my hair out.
For example, when I ask where the bathroom is, I am often met with a look of total confusion. I get frustrated because if you used common sense one might be able to deduce that bathroom is a synonym of washroom or restroom! It's not often that people can make that deduction, and it's so ingrained in me to say "bathroom". Another one is "toque", no one has a clue what a toque is, this totally drives me crazy! And to be totally belligerent I say toque whenever I am talking about a toque.
Even after 3 years my feathers still get ruffled when I thank someone for something and they respond with "uh huh". AHHHH! The correct response, the POLITE response is, "you're welcome"! Now I am sure that some people are going to tell me that I should adapt to the American way, but sorry (pronounced sO-rey, not sari) these are the little things that are totally in me, and I think aren't outrageous (okay I'll give you the toque thing) so it's unlikey that I'll change them.
Oh and finally, go check the mailbox, there should be a cheque in it!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 3/10/2009 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally hate the un-huh thing!!!

 
At 3/11/2009 3:59 PM, Blogger Gabrielle said...

you are your fathers daughter.......Oh god. ....Toque.....come on that is only in Canada....its a french word to start with and ....well only in Canada.......sorry you just cant get miffed about that one........sorry........
dam I rushed out to the mail box.....NO CHEQUE...hehehe I am not sure but I think that just might be another candian thing.....I will have to "check" on that one.......LOL

 
At 3/11/2009 4:01 PM, Blogger Gabrielle said...

wow I am used to reading your blog once a month .........hello lots to read today......I better get back to my tomatoes I am Stewing them and bottling them......fun fun fun .........

 
At 3/12/2009 4:30 PM, Blogger Gabrielle said...

I take it back ......it is only those Americans that use Check for cheque............LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home